Presented by Security Executive Council and Topo.ai
The COVID-19 pandemic has rightfully been the top priority for corporate security teams over the past several weeks. As the mandate has shifted, so too have security teams been forced to pivot from their traditional areas of focus.
This global challenge has yielded many insights that apply not only to future outbreaks of COVID-19 and other pandemics, but to other types of threats that will similarly demand dynamic, just-in-time risk and vulnerability assessments.
There has been much speculation about when we might be able to “return to normal,” but this process will likely be incremental and evolve over time. New proven practices that support social distancing may be part of risk mitigation strategies indefinitely, and they will need to be balanced with established custom-driven business (such as face-to-face interactions and site visits).
It is likely that corporate leadership teams will seek to reduce budgets in response to dimmer financial projections. But cyclical threats such as tornadoes and hurricanes will still occur, exacerbating our existing challenges. Cyberattacks may further disrupt key critical processes including our communication channels. Security teams and their all-hazards risk mitigation colleagues must make the persuasive business case that defunding non-COVID security activities may simply increase the likelihood or consequences of other risks.
- Key risk assessment and mitigation lessons from COVID-19
- How to identify and mitigate forecast global risks that could exacerbate the challenges of COVID-19
- How to keep or redeploy the budgets you have, using the early lessons learned from COVID-19 pandemic
- How to build executive confidence in the security team and make the business case for re-prioritized investment
- Kathleen Kotwica, PhD – EVP and Chief Knowledge Strategist, Security Executive Council; Principal Analyst, Security Research Leadership Institute
- Francis D’Addario – Emeritus Faculty, Security Executive Council
- Dean Correia – Emeritus Faculty, Security Executive Council
- Phil Harris – Cofounder, Topo.ai
State of the Industry Risk Assessment Survey
What tools do you use to assess risk? Share your approach and experience in this brief survey. It takes about 5 minutes, and you’ll receive the results and benchmarking data. Take the survey here.